Wednesday, September 18, 2013

kebabs!


A few notable things happened this past week. I got sick, I got better, and now I'm sick again. The chef at my favorite restaurant in the district asked to take home some of my burfi from our Ganapati celebrations this weekend (yeah, I'm not even going to pretend that's a humblebrag). And my son stopped calling me Purple. In the midst of all this excitement, I also happened to refine a recipe for kebabs that pleased both full sized and mini members of our family all at once. 

Kebabs


  • 1 pound ground meat of your choice (I used beef)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 3 cups spinach, packed
  • 1 cup cooked rice
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon garam masala
  • 2 large shallots
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil


Preheat the oven at 375 degrees. Saute the spinach and shallots in the oil until the shallots are soft. Add the mixture to the rest of the ingredients and knead well. 


Place a mounded spoonful in a nifty mini-muffin pan, because square kebabs are just so darn cute. 


Pop them in the oven for 30 minutes and enjoy.


Kebabs are a great menu item to have on hand. They're versatile, they can mask all sorts of healthy additions (from vegetables to flax seed), they freeze well, and you can even pop them in some curry if you prefer sauce to the grill. Use them to experiment and experiment often-- you won't be sorry.

1 comment:

Raj Ajinkya said...

I have seen how Des devours these.I'm going to get the square pan and make them.